06 February, 2009

the lady of the toilet (or, how summer pickles got her groove back)


Firstly, apologies to those of you visiting for craft updates - this is not one of them. Though, perhaps DIY is not too far from crafty?

Recently i was bemoaning the fact that i felt i had lost my independence completely... i have no money of my own (mind you the pickles have always done what's mine is yours etc etc), i haven't really any time of my own, and, i confess, we have fallen into the trap of "you do the boy jobs and i 'll do the girl jobs" since having the gherkin.

So, when our 1968 toilet died on the weekend (actually, no it didn't quite die, but the problems it had were terminal), i was tempted to call Mr Pickles to do something. but instead, i rolled up the sleeves (metaphorically speaking of course - we live in sunny Melbs, so there were no sleeves) and got to work. thanks to dr google, i was able to diagnose the toilet's problems, disassemble the toilet, take a trip to bunnings (toilet pieces in hand), gather the pieces needed to make a repair and then reassemble the toilet.

Was it a dirty job? YES

Did it take a whole day? YES

Did i feel completely brilliant after it was all done and completely repaired? ABSOLUTELY!
(evidence being this post that i am writing, still basking in the post-toilet-repair glow some five days later!)

One of the best benefits of our repair was the thought that we will also now be flushing less water, quite literally, down the toilet, and getting ourselevs that little closer to the melbourne 155 target.

But the best bit? singing "i am mummy, hear me roar" to the gherkin all night (or course inserting toilet repair terminology throughout!)... nothing like some time with tools to get a gal's confidence back!

Chat soon lovelies xo

4 comments:

Veronica Darling... said...

Hey! Have you stopped by Blue Milk:

http://bluemilk.wordpress.com/

There's some family and feminist thoughts!

Well done Toilet Mumma! I really do try not to fall into man/woman roles in the household. But sometimes I'm so disgruntled (being a short arsed petite female) that I CAN'T REACH ANYTHING, even with a ladder. Why don't they make things closer to the ground, so I don't have to call on Mr Husband to do my stuff!

Clare Carter said...

You go girl!! Bunnings is THE place for womanly tool toting independence reclaiming.Its very easy to fall down the rabbit hole once there are little people and single incomes but god knows you took back the boots : ) And a little water saving too-bonus.xx

Running Thread said...

Ahhhh Bunnings! There's something very special when you're on a mission and find exactly what you need! I normally have to ask the tradies - who are always happy to help. Well done Summer Pickles. Hope Mr Pickles and the little pickle appeciate that you are awesome.
I enjoy your blog :)

LBA said...

Was your toilet leaking ? If so, I bet you will find you are NO-WHERE near the 155 now.

Otherwise, perhaps you have another slow leak somewhere ??
Keep an eye on it.

And yay for man-chores ! I love surprised the husband with my man-chore abilities .. makes you feel good, huh ? :)

Thanks

to my other half who puts up with the mess, makes me happy and keeps me sane.
to my beautiful boys who give me so much i want to remember and make the everyday something to treasure.
to my mum who alway let me play with fabric and the good scissors, and who knows a lot of songs.
to my dad who was always happy for us to make a mess and who laughs at us when we deserve it.
to both parents for making sure i still got the work done.
to my dear friends for listening and for sharing the laughs.
and, to you for visiting!