05 January, 2009

happy christmas, new year, etc etc!

Hi all!

Wow, what an amazing few weeks we have had in the pickles household! Full of friends, family, & crafting galore!!!

It all started with some panic crafting for our handmade <$5 christmas in the gran & pa pickles home in sunny nsw... all the gals got one of these:

brooch - miss h

This was the perfect crafty creation for me... no neat straight lines, no accurate cutting required, just loads of fun combining colours and fabrics... perfect! And I used all scrap fabrics and vintage or pre-loved buttons, which made me very happy! (nothing like the de-stash... which, by the way is my aim for the first half of this year - no new fabrics!). Which is your favourite brooch? I have a definite favourite, but I won't tell.... Some more brooches similar to these will soon be appearing in my etsy, so stay tuned...

Then, after these crafting adventures, I got onto snapfish and ordered a photobook for the grandparents. Soooo easy to use their templates, the book looked great, the photo colours came out well, and they had it delivered in time for christmas, in spite of my only ordering them on I think the 18th December... impressive! Oh, and the book was a hit... we managed to get tears from some family members - the exact result we were after!


martha stewart pom poms
martha stewart pom poms by summer pickles

Off to sunny nsw then, sydney via wagga, and to the gherkin's naming day (we didn't officially name him The Gherkin). We spent the night before making these gorgeous martha stewart tissue paper pom poms, which looked b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l in our garden ceremony and the following lunch. Again, these were pretty simple too... and looked just gorgeous. It was lovely to have the opportunity to celebrate (again) the little man's arrival and to do this with our dearest friends, and soo much fun to catch up with everyone's kids!!!

Then to Christmas, and all of the family celebrations, and the gherkin's first beach experience... yep, on seven mile beach (of course). However, it was very poorly planned, so, being the middle of Boxing Day, it was hot and sunny and windy (not a winning combination for our new redheaded baby's first trip to the beach!), we had a sprint onto the beach, a quick point and click and a sprint back to the car.... Fortunately we had more relaxing moments down at the beach in Ulladulla and in various parks and gardens in the south coast the following week.

(recognise this summer pickles quilt???)

Hoping you all had wonderful festive seasons, and thanks for stopping by in 2009!
Chat soon xo

Thanks

to my other half who puts up with the mess, makes me happy and keeps me sane.
to my beautiful boys who give me so much i want to remember and make the everyday something to treasure.
to my mum who alway let me play with fabric and the good scissors, and who knows a lot of songs.
to my dad who was always happy for us to make a mess and who laughs at us when we deserve it.
to both parents for making sure i still got the work done.
to my dear friends for listening and for sharing the laughs.
and, to you for visiting!