29 September, 2007
28 September, 2007
Barkley was lovely - I think I was about five when we had him, and I clearly remember his smell (of course!). Barkly had that real puppy smell... a bit like you would imagine dry crumbled weetbix would smell if it were out in the sun for a while and grew warm. I love that smell! I remember creeping out the back door to visit him when he was whimpering one night (he was still spending the night in a big box at that stage)... I remember he was so hard to reach to pat! I felt as though I was going to fall into the box!
I also remember very clearly that a dalmation got into our yard one day and bit Barkley's ear. I was so worried and upset. I remember the smell of him being washed, and the smell of Dettol. He was really shaken, poor little thing. I still don't trust dalmations.
But, sadly, I have no photo to go with this story... mum/dad - do you have one at home? Can you scan one in and email it to me?
Happy flashback everyone!
24 September, 2007
And, prompted by Martine at greenolive to reflect on my love of all things pink, I thought it may be timely to show a group of my pink favourites!
1. Más lovely necklaces!!, 2. Set of 4 "pink pretty" badges, 3. Friendly Birds, 4. Broche Muffin, 5. Midnight Garden Detail, 8. Miki's wing, 9. Blossom PINK, 10. BONBON CANDY BUTTON PIN, 11. quilted bag, 12. Girl's open knit hat with detachable flower, 13. Embroidery in progress, 14. Doll for Greta, 15. lots of buttons, 16. Hearts and hearts and little hearts...
23 September, 2007
I have, though, made a new button necklace tonight, in gorgeous autumnnal browns and burnt oranges. I think this is my new favourite! And, it is now available at my etsy.*
Thanks so much Julia, I love this bag, and it goes beautifully with my favourite jacket, which is a gorgeous shade of blue. This bag is what I refer to as a Mary Poppins bag - it is much bigger on the inside than it looks on the outside - so when I went out with is, I was able to fit in my wallet, camera, phone and a beanie. I love this fabric, and what I really love about the design, is the handle, which always has a lovely shape, whether is is being carried or is resting on a table/chair/lap. Can't wait til it is warm enough down here to wear with a light flippy skirt... I definitely feel very feminine and lovely carrying this bag!!!
Thanks Julia - I will be keeping a very close eye on your shop for more goodies!
(now, back to sealing the bathtub!)
17 September, 2007
Hello! (in case you crafters are still out there?)
Just a very quick post to apologise for my lack of crafting content of late... I am one of those people who believes that if you start something with a clear purpose (eg. this blog, talking crafting and creativity) then you should stick to that purpose, and it seems I have strayed....
So, the reason I have perhaps strayed a little is that I have (sadly) had no time for crafting or even scouring the world for incredible crafters.... we have been renovating! (Please don't read the exclamation mark as unbridled enthusiasm... it is some exhaustion, some frustration and a little bit of manic giggling as things don't quite turn out how we would have liked!)
What I can show you today is photos of a number of works in progress.... some renovation work, some crafting work... enjoy, and I hope to be back to the land of creating (and finding inspiration) very soon!
13 September, 2007
First the rules:
A. Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves.
B. The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed.
C. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog....so off we go!!!
1. I am still completely smitten by my lovely hubby. Even when he's grumpy. Even with I'm grumpy. He's lovely. We met at school, where I remember thinking he was one of the funniest and most fun boys to be around. He was my mate, we dated after school, broke up, went our separate ways.... then years later we "bumped into each other" via a group email, he came back to Aus, we got married and are living happily ever after. The End.
2. I call my mum and dad on the telephone - a lot! Quite often I will chat to one of them for my whole commute home from work (hands free everyone... quite legally). They are two of my very favourite people in the world (I am a lucky gal!).
3. I squeeze pimples. I know, it's disgusting, but I do it anyway... oh! and I scratch mozzie bites as well... terrible behaviour. I do intend to floss my teeth every day. I just forget...or don't feel like it.
4. I cannot stand advertising that uses children as props or gimmicks. Children are real little people, not status symbols or objects to be manipulated. I love children and am absolutely passionate about child rights, and supporting families and communities to look after their kids as best they can. I am dearly hoping one day to have a big family (we're working on it).
5. I sing every day, but only in private. Usually in the car, or in the shower. I used to dream that I would be an opera singer. I wish I could sing for my job... I wish I were that good at it.
6. I love Weetbix with cold soy milk and brown sugar... yum! I also love olives, sushi, chocolate, blue cheese and Jock's icecream's hokey pokey (but not all at once!)
7. People always assume that I am younger than I am. I think this is great (though can be frustrating too!). I think it is because I smile a lot, laugh a lot, grin a lot and am a generally happy human being. I also get really openly excited about exciting things. People don't seem to expect this as you get older.
8. My favourite books in the world all make me cry... Jane Eyre, The Time Travellers Wife, and Henry and Amy (yes, it's a children's picture book! but more on that another time).
Now, to tag some friends in blogland:
Thanks everyone have a fun Friday!
11 September, 2007
Now, for those of you who don't know greenolive, you should definitely visit her website! Greenolive is Martine Booth, a Melbourne woman who produces some amazingly beautiful crafts.
Just recently I was fortunate enough to win a prize on her blog. It arrived this afternoon, after a looong day at work, and really did brighten up my whole day, and I think will brighten up my whole week... whole month!
So, show and tell time... Here is the package as it arrived (I love this packaging... gorgeous!), and once it was unpacked.
I LOVE all of these brooches!!! I love that they are all hand-stitched (beautifully) and the fabric and colour combinations are just glorious... and thanks for all of the pink and red! Lovely!!! The summery colours and designs of the cards are also gorgeous, and will come to good use as I have recently started sending snail mail again... a lovely personal thing to do I think! (Funny that I have started this recently, now that I am spending so much time online).
(Can you tell by all of my exclamation marks that I am a little excited?!?)
Martine, I hope you don't mind that I tried one out in my hair... when I looked at the lighter pink one I realised how well it would go with my favourite racing carnival dress, and thought perhaps I could wear it as a fascinator?!? I think it looks lovely in hair, too? (Please ignore the saggy I-have-been-in-meetings-or-at-a-computer-all-day-eyes!).
(Ha! Love this look of concentration on my face as I take a self portrait... funny.)
Anyway, a very warm thankyou to Martine --- these are just so beautiful... you have motivated me now to come out to the Mt Dandenong markets and check out your stall! (For those of you not in sunny Melbs you can visit Martine online)
Have a fun week everyone, and thanks again for popping by!xx
ps.... more summer pickles cheeky monkeys in production at the moment... keep an eye open for an update very soon!
09 September, 2007
This is a photo posted by plur bitch plur after receiving Brett the Sausage Dog. Looks like he has already made a friend!
I really do get a kick out of photos taken of my softies once they "leave the nest".
Penelope the Kangaroo has also been out and about, and now actually has her own flickr site! You can see what she has been up to in Poland by visiting her here.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend.... it is a lovely one in Melbourne!
07 September, 2007
04 September, 2007
I will send a handmade gift to 3 random people who leave a comment on my blog requesting to join this Pay It Forward exchange. I don’t know what that gift will be yet and you may not receive it tomorrow or next week… LOL… but you will receive it within 365 days, that is my promise! The only thing you have to do in return is pay it forward by making the same promise on your blog.
So, let me know your favourite colour(s) when you leave a comment, as well as your preference for button jewellery or a softie, and in two weeks I will randomly select one person who will receive a handmade gift from me! I will alter this promise a little and aim to have your gift in the mail and on its way to you by the end of November.
Two weeks to comment, everyone!
03 September, 2007
But, having now gotten myself organised, selected three (!) photos and sitting down at the computer I have realised that these photos are actually from 1986.... bother! Not sure if I am now officially disqualified (?) but will share the story anyway...
three little maids from school are we....
In the above shot is Lyndal (my best buddy for much of primary school) and ?Judith. Lyndal was extremely confident... at that stage in my life I was much more of a timid little thing, so Lyndal was great fun to be around. I also remember that her dad had the very best biscuits at his work... chocolate biscuits with marshmallows and Iced Vovos! (so exciting!)
Terrible that I can remember this level of detail, but can't remember everyone's names.
All of the people in this production were still at school. I remember the older boys and girls looked extremely old to me! The woman in the pink kimono was stunningly beautiful, and I wanted to be just like her when I grew up. I think her name was Sam, but I am not sure now... The older boys were funny - I remember during one of the shows one of them sat down and flashed his undies to the audience... absolutely accidental but it got a lot of laughs and he hammed it up to get more giggles out of it.
And I wanted to include this last photo just so you could get a glimpse of the very simple but lovely set. That backdrop was painted by one of the kid's mums, and the trees were branches with crepe paper flowers attached. Lovely!
Happy Monday everyone xx
01 September, 2007
to my beautiful boys who give me so much i want to remember and make the everyday something to treasure.
to my mum who alway let me play with fabric and the good scissors, and who knows a lot of songs.
to my dad who was always happy for us to make a mess and who laughs at us when we deserve it.
to both parents for making sure i still got the work done.
to my dear friends for listening and for sharing the laughs.
and, to you for visiting!